Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Sock Snowmen!



I saw the idea for this on Pinterst at http://thenshemade.blogspot.com/2011/01/sock-snowmen.html.
I was inspired so i went to the dollar store, went home and started crafting! They were pretty simple to make after you get the hang of it. You will need
-2 decorative socks (i choose plaid and Christmas colors) and got them for $1.
-1 long white tube sock. (I used some old ones of my husband...clean of course. lol)
-bean/rice or other type of filler
-buttons
-something for the nose. I used skewers for the grill
-embellishments of your choosing.
-rubber bands
I did make a few changes from the original directions from Pinterst. I found a really long tube sock and instead of cutting just the tube part off to use as the body, I actually used the whole sock and on the second one, I turned it inside out which gave it a more textured "snowy" look. (bottom picture) then fill sock with bean/rice and secure top with a tight rubber band.
If you use a whole sock, you can actually get all different sizes of snowmen. Fill the sock as full as you want (which will dictate how tall it is) and then cute the remainder off at the top. You can actually use the excess to make another snowman...just put a tight rubber band around one end BEFORE you flip it inside out and then fill.
Then cut the ankle and toe out of ONE of the decorative socks. That becomes the sweater. You can then add rubber bands at the top and bottom of the sweater or just at the top depending on the look you want.
Then only cut the ankle part of the SECOND decorative sock. That becomes the hat. I gathered the toe and put another rubber band around it and hot glued a pom pom on the end to make it look more like a hat.
Then just add the button eyes and cut off the end of the skewer, paint it orange and hot glue it on as well. I found it helped to cut a small hole, add hot glue and actually insert the nose into the beans.
Then EMBELLISH! I had some extra tiles that i mod podged sayings on then hot glued to a skewer. I also found that if you cut the elastic part off the left over ankle bits. Cut them so they are one piece and glue together, you can make a cute scarf! That's it. :)
Fun and cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment