Thursday, October 20, 2011

Name Art





Ok, so I have always LOVED the popular frames with your last name spelled out through strategic photographs.







Well they were way too expensive for my taste so I decided to make my own. And OF COURSE I got my inspiration from Pinterst! Here is her post: http://fullofgreatideas.blogspot.com/2010/10/absolute-favorite-thing-i-have-made.html



This blog posted that is there is an AMAZING website that allows you to use his photographs for FREE as long as you don't sell them. So here is my creation:




So this was my process:

1. Go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwr/collections/72157594587080023/ to find the letters you want. They are INCREDIBLE AND HE HAS LOTS TO CHOOSE FROM.






2. Then I found different size wood blocks from Michaels. (You could just simply put it in a frame like the blog from above did.)




3. I measured all the blocks and then sized each letter accordingly. Then I printed them out.




4. I then spray painted the blocks black (they were light oak).

5. Then cut each letter out and make sure they fit exactly where you want them on the board.


6. Spray adhesive to the board and carefully place each letter. (I used an old credit card to smooth them out.)


7. Let them dry completely. Then I mod podged each of them to seal them.


8. I then screwed a brace on the back of each of the letter because I wanted one solid piece.


And that's it! :) I think this would make a great gift too.













2 comments:

  1. First, shame on you for starting a blog and not telling me!

    Second, adorable =-) The brace on the back is a great idea.

    Would you ever have looked at us in college and thought that you would spend more time crafting as an adult than me? It makes me crazy! And sad. But happy for you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you print out the letters? When I right click them to save it to my computer it says there are some rights to the photos

    ReplyDelete